Winnie's Land of thoughts :-)

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Lost in the world of work...

Haven't been updating for months I guess... Been really busy with competitions and school work. So here's a very long update...

Firstly, participated in the Inter school micromouse competition... Went to the finals, but, as expected, lost... hahax... anyway, only 2 weeks of preparation, how to expect good results?

Then had the NJRC, to be held during the sep hols to settle... That was a tough one... Though I shld say that the mission this year was supposedly much simpler. So the rest of the month was spent on NJRC... at least this year they provided the maps. But still, without the props, not much can be done... Furthermore mission 2 is 3D... So had to go somewhere to practise la... Guess the choice of school not really that appealing at first though they have achieved alot in the past. My sec sch aren't really happy with them la... So, have to give and take loh... Anyway, it is really VERY troublesome to travel there lah... Have to carry all the lego set, laptop, schoolbag... Sigh, really how the ppl f that sch ever survived such torture... What's worse is that my batch of cca mates not enthu abt cca/competition at all... So, have to make trips to the school on my own. Sigh... After 2-3 trips there and staying until late at night, my dad decided that it was much safer for him to fetch me home. That really safed me the trouble to make all the trip back home again.

Anyway, the progress of our team was really slow... We were new to lego NXT and had various problems such as programming and building. I actually took the risk to change the whole design of the robot about 2 weeks before the competition. At least the new design is much better and easier to add on new attachments. Was still working hard till the night before the competition.

This year, our group spent a bit more time on our presentation. From research to practise etc. Had great gelp from our cca teacher. So on the day of presentation, we were much better prepared compared to previous years. That night we got the news of our team being nominated for Best Mechanical Design and Best Presentation. So had to go down again the next day. Sadly, not awarded in the end.

Then it was the preliminary round for the mission. Overall, not bad I think. We also set up a booth to sell drinks. Not very good, so we decided to sell for other ppl, earning commisions instead. For the competition, we were ranked 9 out of 22 JCs and Polys which participated. Not bad I would say. That night received the call that we were down for the finals. Both happy and sad. The finals was to be help on sat, 8 sep. On that day, our team will be down for 3 things. First, we will be quarantined for the finals, 2nd, we need to report for Sprint race at 2pm, which is right after the finals, and we also need to report to Dalton Hall in Science Centre for the prize presentation briefing. Apparently, our team won some prize which they refuse to tell us... What's worse is, out of the 5 members of the team, 1 had to do PW, 1 parents dont's allow him to go, 1 had to attend to family matters, that leaves with just 2 of us, both girls... Can you imagine how we have to perform all those task when there are only 2 of us... Hard to...

So, we reported at 8 at the annex for the finals. The mission was supposed to be achieveable, but since only I know how to build and program, I had to do all the work. Had to pass the job of building a mechanism to pick up ball to my friend, YS, so that I can get the basic programming out. In the end, mechanism cant work, so we skipped it. Then they quarantined the robot for lunchbreak. When we came back, the ppl chased us out of the booth. Poor YS, had to help me carry all the laptop, sets, my bag, etc with her while I go run the robot. Sadly, We only got five pts, due to my carelessness... Sigh... Champion went to Ngee Ann Poly... This was like expected la... No surprises loh. Anyway, we were ranked 6 this time round.

After the finals, I had to run to find YS to go for the Sprintrace... Guess it really is time my robot retire liao... Went through the 1st round bcoz opponent too lousy, though my robot did nt complete the race either, move on to 2nd round, robot managed to beat the other fellow. Lost in the 3rd round bcoz it couldn't do the 2nd bend. Sigh, lost to a slow poke robot... Really sad to have lost, but anyway... No worries... Still got prize presentation to attend...

Met up with YS in the Dalton Hall. Was informed that we won the Entrepreneur 3rd prize. Like so no link to robotics lah... But who cares manz... Got prize jiu hao... Hahax... So had the prize presentation at around 5 I think... Both me and YS went and collect the medals on stage... Thinking back, that was the 3rd and most probably last time I will receieve an award for NJRC on that stage... Will miss you... Hahax... This year's medal really very nice and super shiny... Though we were 3rd, it looks quite similar to the 1st's medal if you don't look at them up close... Hahax...

Will be receiving the medals from the principal most likely next monday... That will be my 3rd time up on that podium le... Hahax...

So putting NJRC aside, I have to concentrate on my promos le... Sigh, really got lots to catch up on. Guess I did all I can to catch up before the promos...

After thhe promos, we had the Character development program... This year, our batch will be building sandcastle on the beach... The end product of my class's main structure looks more like a rocket laucher to me... It's the tallest structure so far as compared to other class's ones... {",}

Then, had AJ open house on the next day. I was one of the facilitators. Bad day I would say. Rained and rained. Then me and my friend so 'lucky', the tcher pass us umbrellas to shelter ppl to AJ... In the end, those umbrellas served no purpose... me and my friend drenched head to toe... Sigh... There were at least 1000 goodie bags left over, so we just took what we want...

Anyway, just got the finalized marks for my promos this morning... Guess I can be promoted bah... For the time being, I just keen on promoting regardless of how bad the passes are... Really must get promoted manz...

Just handed in our Written Report for pw... Now have to focus on oral presentation le... Hope all goes well, and hope to get an A for pw...

That's quite a long post I guess... Gtg nw... hope to update soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home